As you may know, the DFA has been on the news the past months because of the passport appointment controversy. My sister and some friends had a hard time getting an appointment, lucky for us though, Mia is a minor and she does not need an appointment to have her passport renewed.
We initially thought of going again to DFA NCR East (Megamall Satellite office) but upon learning that there’s a sale at The Podium (read:Terrible Traffic) I had to look for other alternative offices. We considered the satellite offices at Ali Mall or Robinson’s Galleria – the latter being a lot closer to our home. The DFA satellite office in Robinson’s Mall – also known as DFA NCR Central – is the dedicated passport centre for OFWs. I initially thought that courtesy lane is not available in that office because I read at the DFA’s site in the FAQ page that the office only allows OFW walk-ins – I guess maybe the information is not accurate? Anyway, I searched online and found the satellite office’s facebook page which provided a more recent and clear information on this matter.
We arrived at the office at about 2:00pm, and there were no lines, and there were not much applicants on the site. The courteous guard directed us to the information counter – another staff assisted us, got our requirements and handed out an application form (I left ours at home!). Here are the steps for the passport renewal:
- Approach the information counter – they will assist you and check if your requirements are complete. For renewal of a minor you will need to present the following:
- Original PSA birth certificate (they will not return this document back to you)
- Current passport of the minor
- Passport of the Parent (or I suppose an ID?)
- Photocopy of the front and back part of the minor’s passport (photocopy booth is available on the site)
- Photocopy of the parent’s passport
- Filled up application form (they have blank forms on the site)
- Proceed to the first window where the documents will be validated and checked. If all requirements are okay, the staff will hand you a receipt/form that you need to present to the cashier for payment
- Proceed to the cashier and pay Php 1,200.
- Move to the encoding window to have your child’s photo and information taken. Here are some reminders:
- Make sure that your child’s hair do not cover a part of your child’s face. For kids with bangs or fringes, neatly tuck it on the side of the face – NO CLIPs should be visible. Mia has full bangs so I had to wet her hair with wet wipes so her bangs will be in place.
- If your child is wearing earrings, they might ask you to take it off. Mia had her little studs on but it was very small so they didn’t ask that we remove it.
- Practice the no-teeth smile.
- PLEASE double, triple check the details of the child. NAME should be complete, with the right characters.
- Once done, you can proceed to the courier counter to pay for courier fee. This is not required and you will only need to do this if you will have your child’s passport sent to your address.
- Courier fee is only Php 150 – I believe this is a good deal, it will save you time and money going back to the satellite office. It will add just another 1-2 days to the processing days.
It took us only 20 minutes to complete the process! Wow. Considering it took me at least half of a day to have my passport renewed the first time (yes – at DFA in Aseana). The staff were very friendly and accommodating. They even answered my questions about Mia’s visas and how we can still use it even the passport was expired.
Thank you, DFA NCR Central for a very pleasant experience! Mia was so amazed how fast it was, she even had time to go to Kidzooona after.