Because this week was Mia’s first week – yes, she’s already a pre-schooler – I had little time to prepare dinner. This is no excuse though, I still had to prepare and cook dinner – moms don’t get days off!
Here’s one of my no-fuss dinner solutions:
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Chicken breast fillet (butterfly)
- Quick melt Cheddar Cheese (cut into sticks)
- Honey cooked Ham
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lemon or calamansi juice (optional)
- Paprika (optional)
- Eggs, beaten
- Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
For the creamy garlic dip:
- 5 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. sour cream (optional – if you want it a bit creamy)
- Minced Onions
- Minced Garlic
- Salt and sugar
Prepare and cook the chicken:
- Prepare the chicken fillet by pounding it or slicing it into half if it is too thick
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. If you prefer to put lemon or calamansi juice – squeeze some juice on the chicken.
- On the flattened chicken, lay the ham, sprinkle a little parsley and put the cheese stick in the middle
- Fold and roll the ends of the chicken and make sure that there is no or little opening for the cheese to ooze out. You want the cheese all inside and not on your pan or oven!
- Secure the ends with toothpick or if you have cooking string or twine, that will be better.
- Season the roll with a little salt or pepper.
- Roll the chicken in flour, dip it in beaten eggs, then roll it over panko or bread crumbs
- Pan fry the chicken over medium to high heat until the outside/crust is a little brown. This is one trick I got from my friend Angel, and also from watching Jamie Oliver’s cooking show – before baking, brown the outside of the dish by frying (not deep fry!). This will also lock-in the meat’s juice and not dry it up during baking.
- Place the chicken on a roasting pan
- Bake the chicken for 15 minutes on pre-heated oven (200 degrees).
- Turn the chicken once to evenly brown the chicken
Make sure not to over cook the chicken because it will dry up and the meat will be tough.
Prepare the dip:
- Mix the mayonnaise and sour cream, add more mayo or cream depending on your taste
- Put in minced garlic and onions
- Put a dash of sugar and salt and mix
For the chicken breast, you can opt to buy the packaged and frozen chicken breasts available in the supermarket (Magnolia has this and these are available in Monterey meatshops) or have (fresh) chicken breast and ask them to cut and fillet it. This dish only takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook on the pan, then another 15 minutes on the oven. Very easy to cook. Enjoy! 🙂